30 July 2017 – After months of vigorous training, it’s game time for the U20 7s team. They are scheduled to take part in Asia U20 7s tournament on 4th and 5th of August 2017. Based on the last year’s tournament, our Malaysian Team is ranked 4th. Sri Lanka is the top dogs and expected to be the favorite. South Korea is ranked 2nd, followed by Hong Kong. Chinese Taipei is 5th and Thailand is 6th.
Malaysia is placed in the pool A, which consists of Sri Lanka, Chinese Taipei, China and the Philippines. The other group, Pool B consists of South Korea, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, and Uzbekistan.
The selection committee had finalized the U20 7s, which shall consist of the following players:
1. Muhammad Abdul Karim bin Md Nasir (ex-SSTMI)
2. Muhammad Haikal bin Ibrhim (KV WKF)
3. Nazrin Aiman bin Ahmad Taufik (ex-SSTMI)
4. Sufi Hafizuddin Hadwan bin Abdul Halim (ex-SSTMI)
5. Mohd Shahzan Yanni bin Zulfuri (SSTMI)
6. Rozaihan bin Roslee (ex-SSTMI)
7. Zulmajdi bin Kamarazali (SSTMI)
8. Muhammad A’aziem bin Badaruddin (SSTMI)
9. Muhammad Safiy bin Md Said (SSTMI)
10. Ezwan Aqim bin Mohd Ezani (SSTMI)
11. Mohd Faris bin Abdullah (IPG)
12. Mohd Hafizuddin Amin bin Mohd Akhir (KV Arau)
13. Hafiezie Sudin (SSTMI)
The captain for the squad is Sufi Hafizuddin. a wing forward, hailing from Johor.
The vice captain for the squad is Zulmajdi. A flyhalf/winger from Kelantan. Only 19 years old, have played for Malaysia U18 for ASC 2016 in Hong Kong and won the Plate Champion Medal. He also played for the U19 National side that took part in ARFU 15s. A debut for Malaysia U20 7s for him.
The team will be accompanied by the team manager Che Mohd Zulkarnain bin Abd Wahab. Head Coach Syed Shazril Syed Mahadir, Coach Izaimi bin Zainuddin and Fisio Fadzlam Noor Zakaria.
The squad will depart for Hong Kong on 3 August 2017, taking a morning flight. We at Ragbionline would like to wish the team Good Luck and safe journey.
If everything goes according to plan, our own Muizuddin Yahaya shall accompany them and provide the coverage for Ragbionline.
Photos and words by Zainuddin Mamat/ragbionline